Meet Katherine Yellen
USPAP Compliant and Certified by the
International Society of Appraisers
American Society of Appraisers
203-438-9228 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Connecticut & Westchester County
Katherine Yellen is a certified member of both the International Society of Appraisers (ISA) and the American Association of Appraisers (AAA). She has been appraising antiques and fine art since 1999 for insurance, estates, donations, equitable distributions, damage/loss and corporate collections. Her clients include individual collectors, major corporations such as Pepsi and Nationwide Bank as well as accountants, lawyers, insurance adjusters and insurance agents.
Katherine studied in England and received a Diploma in Antiques and Decorative Arts from the Regent Academy of Fine Arts in London and subsequently attended New York University to complete her Certificate for Appraisal Studies in Fine and Decorative Arts. She continues to take specialist courses and regularly attends appraisal conferences to further her education and stay current on the latest developments and regulations.
Katherine has done hundreds of appraisals over the years which have included a broad spectrum of antiques, fine art, silver, oriental rugs and ceramics. Katherine subscribes to several auction databases and attends local auctions in order to have the most up-to-date values on everything from expensive paintings and antiques to regular household items. She holds a Bachelors Degree in Economics from the University of California which strengthens her ability to assess the marketplace and value each item appropriately.
Finding an Appraiser
Whenever there is a questions about the value of your personal property, there's also a risk involved. It may be the risk of selling too low, or of paying too much; the risk of being under or over insured; the risk of not getting your fair share in a division of property; the risk of incurring tax penalties or being audited.
Estate and Probate Attorneys Who Have Used My Services
Andrew J. Buzzi, Jr. LLC, Danbury, CT
Chipman, Mazzucco, Land & Pennarola, LLC, Danbury, CT
Davidson, Dawson & Clark LLP, New Canaan, CT
Lovejoy & Rimer PC, Norwalk, CT
Blair & Potts, Stamford, CT
Cummings & Lockwood, Stamford, CT
Ferguson Cohen LLP, Westport, CT
Richard H. Saxl, Attorney at Law, Westport, CT
Berchem, Moses & Devlin P. C. Westport, CT
Gregory and Adams, PC, Wilton, CT
" I used Ms. Yellen for my father's estate settlement. Her work was thorough and detailed. The report provided included good color images of all the items and excellent comparable values based on recent sales and auctions. Her communication skills throughout the process were excellent. I would use her again anytime, and have no reservations about recommending her top-notch services." NW G Westport, CT
“We just wanted to let you know that we received your appraisal yesterday for Mom’s estate. Thank you for a job well done. Everything was very well researched and professionally prepared. It’s nice to know the value of the items in the estate (and also know that all the time spent counting silverware wasn’t wasted after all).” Rip & Chrys, New Canaan, CT
“What a superb job you did on our appraisal. The careful research, fine photographs and footnotes are most impressive. Surly no insurance company can argue once Kathy Yellen has appraised! It was a delight meeting you.”
Helen & Robin, Pawling New York
“You’ve been a huge help on this account. Please know that your expertise is hugely appreciated and I will not hesitate to refer you to any of my customers that may need appraisal assistance in the future.”
Mandy Siwicki , Siwicki Insurance Agency, Stamford, CT
Katherine Yellen ISA CAPP, AAA
Certified Member, International Society of Appraisers
Certified Member, Appraisers Association of America
USPAP Compliant through January 2019
As a generalist I appraise fine art, antiques and household contents. I also hold a certification specialty from AAA in Silver. I continually build on my appraisal experience and education by attending conferences, classes, and auctions. My initial experience in this field began when I lived in England where I completed a Diploma Course from the Royal Academy of Fine Arts. After my return to the United States I began working with a local appraiser completing estate, insurance and donation appraisals specifically dealing with English antiques, fine art and silver. For the last 20 years, I have been involved in my own appraisal practice. My clients include insurance agents, lawyers, and accountants from Connecticut and Westchester County.
Appraisal Specializations: Silver, AAA, Household Contents, AAA, Antiques, Furnishings and Decorative Arts, ISA CAPP, Fine Art, ISA CAPP
- South Asian Fine Art: Modern and Contemporary, focused on connoisseurship and market value information, 3/9/2017
- Oriental Rug Course, identification and valuation methodology, 11/10/2016 - 11/11/2016.
- Professional Seminar on Estate Planning and Changes in Federal and State Tax and Trust law provided by Cummings & Lockwood, 12/2/1015.
- 20th Annual American Art Conference, Insight and Inclusion: Expanding Visions of American Art, 5/15/2015 - 5/17/2015.
- American Art and the New Deal: Appraising American Paintings, Sculpture and Photography of the 1930's, 1/16/2015.
- Photography Study Day, 4/2/2013
- 19th Century European Art AAA course including Christie's preview and discussion with expert, restoration consultation and frame identification at Eli Wilner’s gallery, 4/4/2008.
- NYU Coursework on Fine Oriental Rugs, 2002.
- Winterthur Study Trip, 18th Century Mid-Atlantic Furniture, Portraits & Works on Paper, including Regional Characteristics of New York & Philadelphia Queen Anne and Chippendale Furniture, Long Island & Southeastern Pennsylvania Furniture, Mid Atlantic 18th and 19th Century Painting and Works on Paper, 8/13/2007 - 8/15/2007.
- NAWCC, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Coursework, 10/13/2009 - 10/17/2009.
- Winterthur Furniture Forum, Northeast Coastal Furniture, including Rhode Island and Connecticut Furniture makers, 4/16/2009 - 4/17/2009.
- New York University Silver Conference, a survey of over 225 years of American silver from the Colonial period to the mid 20th century, 3/16/2000 - 3/18/2000.
- ISA Fine Art Specialty Course, focusing on art history and identifying and researching fine art works, 10/2/2004 - 10/7/2004.
- ISA Antiques and Residential Contents Specialty Course, 9/13/2003 - 9/18/2003.
- New York University Certificate Appraisal Studies in Fine and Decorative Arts, 1999.
- Diploma in Antiques and Decorative Arts, Regent Academy of Fine Arts, London, England, covering English Furniture, Clocks, Silver, Ceramics, Glass, Metalwork, Paintings and Prints, 11/16/1998.
- University of Surrey, Guildford, England, survey courses on English Antiques, 1996 - 1997.
- Core Coursework in Appraisal Studies ISA including Appraisal Principles and Business Practice, Appraisal Ethics, ISA Appraisal Report Writing Standards, USPAP, Legal Issues, Identification and Authentication, Market Research & Analysis, 2004.
- Damage/Loss Appraisal Coursework ISA, course focuses on appraisals involving the moving and storage industries. Coursework on proper procedures to follow when trying to bring damage claims to a reasonable resolution, 12/4/2006 - 12/6/2006.
- Expert Witness Coursework ISA, course prepares appraiser for appearing in court. In this course the appraiser learns about evidence and proof, expert qualifications, the rules of discovery, and what to expect at a deposition or going to trial, 12/7/2006 - 12/8/2006.
- ISA National Appraisal Conferences, 2007-2008, 2011-2014
- AAA, National Appraisal Conferences, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2009- 2015
- International Society of Appraisers, Distinguished Service Award, 2014
- Certified Member Appraisers Association of America, 2008 - present
- Certified Member, International Society of Appraisers, 2000 - present
- Chair, Designation and Review Committee, ISA 2013 - 2014
- Member of the Designation and Review Committee, 2006 - present
- Appraiser, Pomeroy and Anderson, 2004 - 2008
- Remmey Galleries, Auction House Appraiser, 1997 – 1998
B. A. Economics, University of California, Davis
B. A. Sociology, University of California, Davis